Monday, February 1, 2016

The process and timeframe to get into SGU (St George's University)

I will share with you how I went about applying to SGU and the amount of time it took to hear back from them.
SGU has a Part 1, Part 2 and "Part3", they don't have an official Part3 but I consider that your MCAT scores, transcripts, LORs, etc.


11/15/2015     I filled out the Part 1 Application on their website. Part one basically asks for some personal information including your address and some academic things such as your  graduation date and GPA. This will allow them to send some info to you about the school through mail and by email. You will then I believe be contact by an admissions person about completing Part 2.


12/01/2015  I printed out and filled in with pen Part 2. This is the actual application where you'll fill in questions pertaining to once again your personal information, employment, volunteer, research activities, personal essay, test scores. You sign in and then I scanned and emailed mine back to the admissions person in charge of my application. Along with my application, I had my letters of recommendation compiled into a committee letter from my school and my pred-med advisor mailed this to SGU's address in NY. I requested all of my transcripts by sent directly to SGU in NY along with my MCAT scores.
12/16/2015 I was contacted by a representative in NY that they hadn't received one of my transcripts. I'm not sure what happened, so I sent a request again.
1/10/2016 I was contact by phone from a representative in NY that I was to be invited to an interview. She said it would be with a former graduate from SGU and that the interviewer lived in Jacksonville, so I wouldn't have to travel anywhere, which was nice! She said once she received the contact information for the interviewer she would email me.
1/22/2016 Received email that I should contact the interviewer by email or phone and set up an interview. I email him right away and setup the interview for the 26th.
1/26/2016 11am I was at the interviewer(Former SGU grad, MD) at his clinic. He came out and greeted me and then took me back into his office. He was sitting at his desk facing his computer while I sat in a comfortable chair. The interview was not very stressful and he was very friendly.
Questions I got asked: ( He told me that I could ask him any questions that I liked at the same time)
1. How did you hear about SGU?
2. Do you know where the school is?
3. Do you know how much it will cost?
4. Where are you from, family history?
5. What did you get out of your volunteering experiences?
6. How does your family feel about this?
7. Why do you want to be a doctor?
8. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
9. How do you plan on paying for school?
10. Tell me about some ethical concerns in medicine at the moment.
He typed into a form every time I spoke, and I asked him questions while he was typing.
My questions to him were..
1. Have you been back to the school?
2. How did you like it?
3. What were some pros and cons about the school?
4. What is the attrition rate?
5. What areas to go for clinicals?
6. Can I do all of my clinicals in one town?
7. Is the island safe?
8. Do I need vaccinations or do my kids need vaccinations before going down?

After the interview I was given a piece of paper with 3 essay questions and had to answer one question in 10 minutes. The questions were:

1.  Describe 3 qualities that a doctor should have
2. Why do you want to be a doctor
3. Who influenced you the most


Overall the interview was fairly relaxed on his part. I showed up in an black pants and a blazer with heels. I felt overdressed but it's better to overdress than to underdress I think. Make your best impression, smile, ask questions, know things about the school such as the USMLE pass rate, the residencies obtained, tuition costs..
After I went home I emailed the interviewer saying thanks and how nice it was to meet him. He replied back in the same manner.


1/27/2016 In the morning I was emailed and they said that my application was being reviewed one final time by the Committee.
1/27/2016 I was called/emailed the same day around 5pm by Jessica DeAngelis an admissions officer notifying me that I was accepted for August 2016 and that I was being put into the Academic Enhancement Program. She told me that the program is for people with low MCAT/GPA scores or have been out of school for awhile. It is an extra help that the school offers she said in order for you to do well. This was likely from me having an excellent GPA with a mediocre MCAT score. I was super excited as that phone call literally changed my life. Knowing that I was finally accepted gave me relief but I also felt nervous, scared, happy, .. all of my emotions were laid out, but mostly happiness! Along with my acceptance email, were my instructions in reserving a seat. You have to send 1000$ deposit to the school in order to trigger you seat reservation and officially become a student of SGU.
2/1/2016 Today I sent a wire transfer in the amount 1000$ the SGU. Now I am just waiting for the receipt of being received.





2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your acceptance to SGU, it is in fact great news.

    In your opinion would you say its not too much of a wait time for me to hear back from the committee on admission. My counselor keeps saying my file is in review with the committee and I submitted my application for the August 2016 class since November 24th, though I was asked to submit a confidential financial information 2weeks ago and I did so February 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply. I'm new to blogging and didn't see you message... As far as the timeline. It was pretty quick after I had everything submitted that I heard back regarding an interview. I would say a total of a month, but it could be different for everyone. I hope you've back by now! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete