Thursday, August 4, 2016

End of a vacation and head first into med school

It has been a glorious 4 months out of school. I have truly enjoyed not having to worry about thinking and studying for tests. For the last 5 weeks me and my husband and our two girls have been in Albania visiting family on my husband's side. Many have asked me what area of medicine I want to go into and the answer is the same every time, "I don't know yet, once I get experience during clinical rotations, that's when I'll really know what I'm interested in." The way to becoming a doctor is much more different in Europe than in the states, at least in Eastern Europe. Here when you finish high school and want to start college you have to take some sort of placement test, and if you are a top scorer then you can likely get into school to become a doctor. However, this country's educational system is corrupted and many times students whose families have money can often pay their child's way to "get into med school" and the smart students from less fortunate families often never get the chance to fulfill their dreams. It is really a shame, the political system here is completely corrupt and makes me thankful that I am from the USA, a land of true opportunity, a land where you can make your dreams a reality if you work hard. Yeah life gets in the way sometimes, but you're never to old to reach your dreams. Tomorrow morning we fly back to the states, and two days later we'll be flying to Grenada to start my first term of medical school. I am super exited to start this journey, and for the adventures that our family will have together on the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment